Wednesday, November 27, 2019

# Idioms

20 Stunningly Beautiful English Idioms

  

There are many English idioms that you might not be familiar with. An idiom is a phrase or an expression that has a particular meaning that differs from the meaning of the individual words, e.g. if someone said “you’ve bitten off more than you can chew”- they are saying that you have tried to do something that is too difficult for you. Practice these idioms when you are learning English to impress your friends and your teachers by explaining what they mean:

1.      It takes two to tango 
It means that both parties or people involved in a situation or argument are equally responsible for  it. Ex: “we need to come to a compromise here – it does take two to tango after all.”

2.      Every cloud has a silver lining
Every difficult or sad situation has a comforting or more hopeful aspect, even though this may not be immadiately apparent.

Ex: “ I was upset that I failed that first interview but now I have my dream job – every cloud has a silver lining.”

3.      To burn the midnight oil
This mean to work or study late into the night.

Ex: “ I’ve been burning the midnight oil trying to finish a very important course”

4.      To burn the candle at both ends
This means to work or to do something from very early in the morning to very late at nighy, thus, getting very little rest.

Ex: “ I was worried about Feby this summer because she was burning the candle at both ends.”

5.      Water under the bridge
Used to refer to events that are in the past and consequently no longer to be regarded as important.

Ex: “Yes, we did have our disagreements but that’s water under the bridge now.”

6.      To wear your heart on your sleeve
It means that you openly share your feelings rather than keeping them inside.

Ex: “ I wear my heart on my sleeve – I’m not afraid to tell someone if I like them.”\

7.      Lovely weather for ducks
A humorous phrase for very wet, rainy weather.

Ex: “ It’s going to be lovely weather for ducks!”

8.      To burn your bridges
This is the act of unpleasantly and permanently ending relations with another person, or an organization.

Ex: “ I’m so glad I didn’t burn my bridges with my old boss because she’s just offered me an amazing new job in her new company!”

9.      Variety is the spice of life
This mean new and exciting experiences make life more interesting.

Ex: “ I never like to visit the same restaurant twice because variety is the spice of life!”

10.   To lend an ear
This is mean to listen to somebody with sympathy.

Ex: “Take my mobile number, I’m always here to lend an ear if you need one.”

11.   A change of heart
This mean a move to a different opinion or attitude.

Ex: “ The troll had a change of heart and decide to dedicate their life to supporting anti-bullying campaigns.”

12.   To touch someone’s heart
This mean to make someone feel a particular emotion or stron feelings.

Ex: “ The handmade birthday card from the little down the roa really touched my heart”

13.  To take one’s breath away
If you say that something takes your breath away, you are amphasizing that it is extremely beautiful or amazing.

Ex: “ The way he played that piano took my breath away”

14.  The calm before the storm
This is a period of unusual peace, silence and tranquillity that seems to come before more difficult or chaotic times.

Ex: “ Every morning, before I open my laptop, I sit down at my desk with my coffe and enjoying the calm before the storm.”

15.   To spread one’s wings
This means to become more independent and confident and to try new things.

Ex: “ Moving to a new country at a young age really gave me a chance to spread my wings.”

16.   Those three little words
An indirect way of referring to the words ‘ I Love You’

Ex: “ Has he said those three little words to you yet?”

17.   What comes around goes around
This means if you treat someone badly, or do something negative, it is likely that the same thing will come back to haunt you.

Ex: “ She picked on me in middle school and now her boss bullies her, what goes around comes around”

18.  Hook, line and sinker
This used to emphasise that someone has been completely deceived or tricked.

Ex: “ You got me hook, line and sinker when you were going to be on the X factor”

19.   To have a soft spot for someone
This means to have a great deal of affection for someone or something.

Ex: “ I have a huge soft spot for ginger cats.”

20.   To only have eyes for someone
This means to only be attracted to or interested in one person.

Ex: “ I only have eyes for William”

(Source: https://youtu.be/352CGJZmeeQ)

 


No comments:

LET'S learn english together!

HELLO, THERE!